Every so often I find myself working on that odd job that requires syncing files with Amazon’s S3. In the beginning, I tried some of the various S3 FUSE interfaces—hoping for something that would play nice with rsync—but FUSE’s stability always left something to be desired and more often than not I’d be left with that one transfer that never would quite finish correctly.
Eventually I discovered boto and settled in to using a hacked together (but stable) Python/boto solution for these type of tasks—all the while wondering why nobody took the time to write a “real” rsync-like client for S3.
Well, this last time around I finally decided to stop whining and take matters into my own hands. After a couple of late nights fleshing out my original boto solution, I’m happy to announce what I’m calling “boto rsync”—an rsync like wrapper for boto’s cloud storage interfaces (both S3 and Google Storage).
Please take a look at the project on github and let me know what you think: http://github.com/seedifferently/boto_rsync
It’s been several months since I’ve had a chance to update The Great Web Framework Shootout, but this weekend I decided that it was time to dig in and freshen things up a bit.
Not only have most of the frameworks seen new releases since the last revision, but I finally decided to move all of the tests over to Amazon’s “release” version of the Ubuntu LTS AMI.
Below is a quick summary of what’s new in this revision:
- All tests were performed on the updated Ubuntu LTS AMI (ami-fbbf7892 ubuntu-images-us/ubuntu-lucid-10.04-amd64-server-20110719.manifest.xml)
- The updated AMI was configured with Python 2.6.5, PHP 5.3.2, Ruby 1.9.2p290, Apache 2.2.14 (default config), mod_wsgi 2.8 (embedded mode), and mod_passenger 3.0.9
- Rails 2.x and 3.0 were dropped from the “full stack(ish)” tests in favor of Rails 3.1.
- CakePHP 1.2 was dropped from the PHP tests in favor of 1.3, but Symfony and Yii were added as they seem to have considerable market share.
- CakePHP’s caching engine was incorrectly configured during the last round of tests, and this has been corrected.
Circle me on Google+ to keep track of further updates, and feel free to contact me there with any questions or comments.