Archive for July, 2009
I recently had to setup a special marketing web-portal for a client of mine that would collect some basic information and throw it into a database to be retrieved later. Since I’ve already got most of the client’s web-stuff on TG2 (and in an effort to keep things DRY), I decided I’d just add a controller for the new pages to TG and use some mod_proxy kung-fu to make it look like it all lived autonomously. Easy enough, right?
Well, about halfway through this process I decided I wanted to have the collected information dump into its own SQLite DB, keeping it safely away from the rest of my client’s data. I had heard that setting up multiple databases in TG2 was supposed to be easy, and with some help from Google I soon ran across this thread on the ML. In it, Chris supplies some very helpful example code which Mike subsequently posted on his blog as a nice tutorial. However, neither of these resources were exhaustive enough to achieve what I was looking for without a bit of “stumbling around”, so in an effort to be overly verbose (and perhaps unnecessarily repetitive) I’ve decided to post what I hope will be a more comprehensive run-down of how to accomplish this task.
Disclaimer: I am in no way a TurboGears or SQLAlchemy expert. There’s probably an easier/better way to do this, but since there’s no “official” TurboGears tutorial on this topic yet I’m afraid this is the best method I’ve found so far. If anyone reading this knows a better way to implement this kind of thing, please leave a comment and I will update this post as the suggestions come in.
Step 1: Define your database urls in the [app:main] section of your .ini file(s)
This is where the magic begins. Instead of one simple sqlalchemy.url = assignment, you’ve got to create assignments for each of the databases you want to use: (continue reading…)
In a previous post, I briefly mentioned falling in love with Python. Now that I’m finally using Python for a large percentage of my development and am more than “casually acquainted” with its toolset, I thought it would be fun to highlight a few reasons why Python has become my new language of choice.
In an effort to help you understand where I’m coming from, let me (briefly) rehash some of my programming history: I spent much of the 90′s doing dynamic web development using Perl (weren’t those the days!). I eventually migrated to PHP which usually made things much easier on the web; and subsequently replaced most of my console scripting with BASH [shell scripting]. However, I’m kind of a hack and love languages so I have occasionally been known to write something in C; and although I’m not a complete stranger to Java and Ruby, I never really felt like I “clicked” with either of those languages.
Ok, now that I’ve hopefully convinced you that I’m not just a fly-by-night programmer, let me show you some Python code. Brace yourself, as this article is bound to get lengthy… (continue reading…)
I recently had to wire up an Authorize.net form for a TurboGears project I’m building, and since I’m a bit new to custom form validation in TG I had quite a bit of trouble figuring out the “right” way to do it.
The goal was to get the form to go through two layers of validation before passing:
- Use the validation packages provided by TG (tw.forms and formencode)
- If the first layer of validation passes, try to run the authorize.net charge. If this returns a response code of 1 (approved) then all validation has passed. Otherwise, invalidate the form and flash the authorize.net error.
tw.forms and formencode are awesome packages, but at first glance there didn’t seem to be “one obvious way” to do things. I found the documentation and tutorials to be scant at best, and eventually went to the TurboGears mailing list for help. In spite of the fact that I’d probably give TurboGears a “C” at best for its documentation (not to mention the availability of “verbose” tutorials), the folks on the mailing list and IRC channel (when it’s actually active) seem to be quite helpful.
Eventually (and with additional help from Google’s source code search) I was able to hack together something that worked as planned, and was overjoyed to observe chained validators in action. Below is some example code provided for your hacking pleasure. To download the full example file, see the links at the bottom of the post. (continue reading…)